Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Fun in the Smokies

Recently we were able to take a little break from the day to day and head to a "Beary Special Place" in the Smokies. We love spending time in the mountains - at least I do, Holly just loves being anywhere other than home. I grew up at the foot of the Smokey Mountains and the Appalachian Trail. At seven years of age you truly cannot appreciate the wonder in front of you as you sit on the steps of your front porch waiting for the bus. That crisp mountain breeze and the peaks reaching into the clouds dwarfing all around it...However marry someone from Jonesboro, AR. Also known as the world's flattest piece of dirt. The view is spectacular - you can see for miles - absolutely nothing for miles and you quickly realize what you took for granted as a kid in the mountains....Sorry Holly.

We had an awesome time together. Friday we did the Ms. Cheap and stopped in at Dollywood after 3pm - pay full price get the following day for free, which for us was the way to go. We were able to take our time and make it through all the rides. It was a little crazy trying to find the cabin in the dark of night with five hungry kids all screaming for food - lesson learned. You would think we should have this figured out by now.

Saturday was a blast - all day at Dollywood again - and the weather was incredible. Both days high 70's and no humidity. For peak season the lines were manageable and we weren't dying from the heat. Again, an absolute blast - not to mention we really support Dolly Parton and the family values she brings to her attractions. We also appreciate the Dolly Parton Imagination Library, if you do not have your child signed up for this program, you are missing out.

Sunday was a looooonnnnnggggg day. 45 minutes through downtown Gatlinburg to return our room key (don't get me started on that one) and then sitting in the parking lot of the rental company Holly and I did something we RARELY ever do - we did the Spontaneous and jumped on Hwy 441 and headed through the National Park to Cherokee, NC. Now I knew this would throw us off our schedule but hey, you only live once right.....I must say, the drive was absolutely beautiful. 10 minutes into our drive a large, black bear comes in to view as he stands on the edge of the road watching the cars go by. It was a bit ironic. Here are a few photos from our time in the park:







By the way, I am really disappointed with this blogging utility user interface to format blogs...oh well. We played in the creek, threw rocks, ventured into dark places, found walking sticks, fell in to the ice cold water, took some lovely photos and met nice people. We piled back into the truck and made our way across the peak and headed down to Cherokee, NC. It was really quite sad to see a proud nation, the Cherokees, and culture reduced to sideshows, street performers working for tips. It was almost as surreal as seeing that large black bear standing on the side of the road seemingly waiting for scraps from the passing motor vehicles. Progress is great...most of the time.

Well, one little hiccup in the trip - my navigator told me we could hit the interstate from Cherokee. Technically that is accurate, however you have two options, head north to Asheville and hour and a half east (away from home) or head back the way you came, through the mountains, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and on to Kodak...Pigeon Forge, here we come.
We started home around 3pm CST and it's roughly a 4 hour drive from Pigeon Forge, oh well, not too bad - getting up Monday wouldn't be too bad for work. Of course, I forgot about Ripley's Old MacDonald Miniature Golf. Ok, one round and we would head home, we typically play a round of mini golf in one hour and I could cut a little time if I didn't play and helped Holly with the boys. Great fun - last hole, if you make a hole in one, you get a free game, 3 of the 5 kids won a free game (translation - all the paying kids won a free game). By the way, Will had 5 legitimate holes in one, by himself, it was insane - Brandon was not happy. One look from the kids and Holly and it was off to Logans Roadhouse for a quick supper and back to Ripley's to play the "free games." At this point I knew it would be 10 or 11 before we arrived home.
After dinner we returned to Ripley's and the place was PACKED...no one hour round this time. The kids were GREAT...and everyone had a blast. One thing I remember my dad telling me when Brandon was born, and quite honestly I've not done a good job following this piece of advice, look for opportunities to say Yes instead of No.
2 hours later we end up at the 18'th hole - 2 more free games. At this point I had to convince the kids to be good Samaritans and give their free games to someone else - we had to go. Two lucky honeymooners and we were on our way to Nashville, after a quick stop for an energy drink.
Needless to say, we made it back to Hendersonville, TN, albeit Monday morning at 2am. After unpacking I lay down in my bed for a 6am alarm...what a wonderful vacation - I'm glad I said yes to the fun, I really could have missed out - besides, sleep is totally overrated.
Volume 1, Issue 12
The Carmack Clan
-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment